2.19.2013

Gettin Buff n Stuff

As I've mentioned in some other posts, I've been having a hell of a time losing the last of my baby weight (10lbs that is sky rocketing slowly creeping up from there). Which isn't too much to lose, but I'm a shorty so 10lbs is like 50lbs. It is now time to really get my ass into gear! I work 40 hours, 5 days a week + a baby + fiance + dog + everything else, doesn't equal a lot of gym time. Let's face it, who wants to go to the gym when you have a cute lil boo to play with instead?! Not this gal! So when I get home I always feel super guilty that I should be working out which never sometimes happens.
Treadmill or this face?! No contest, baby wins!
My typical day looks something like this, wake up between 5-5:30 depending on Autumn, work by 7, lunch at noon where I would go home. Scramble to put something together for lunch, try to visit with Autumn if she isn't napping, pump then scurry back to work. This would get me maybe 15 minutes of quality time with baby girl. Not much. Then I get off at 4pm, home, then it's all baby time, dinner, lunch, etc. until about 8pm. You see, not a lot of time for working out. I was blog stalking the other day and found this blog 'Honey We're Healthy'. This blogger is a 37 year old mama of a little boy and looks ah-mazing! I read more about her story and she had a similar journey as me.

Pre-pregnancy, I was probably the healthiest I'd ever been. I'd just finished running my first half-marathon a few months before, was eating healthy and had started training for my next half. Then pregnancy hit. At first, I was still being really healthy, working out and eating right. Then fatigue hit. My workouts started slacking and so did my diet. Pre-prego, I'd been on every and any diet you could think of so eating 'normal' was really difficult. You could say I went a little haywire and started indulging WAY too much. I did well staying on track with my weight gain at first, then every week it seems I gained 2 extra pounds, then 3, then 4, you get the idea. Suffice it to say, I gained more than the recommended amount. Almost double. Gross!

I lost the first 35 pounds within a couple weeks after having Autumn. I can't take credit for any of it though. I think a lot was water weight, the baby and all the other good stuff, and not having the time, energy or appetite to eat but one meal a day. But when my energy and appetite returned, I made up for lost time. But since I was still on restrictions from the c-section, I couldn't do a whole lot other than walking. Which luckily I was walking or I would have gained more/lost less.
At my largest. Just hours before baby girl entered the world!
This brings us to today, still 10-15lbs heavier than I was a year ago. I've been on Weight Watchers a couple of weeks. I've done WW in the past with great success, this time...not so much. At first I had major supply issues with the restricted diet, raised my points according to WW support, started to gain weight. Really?! Enter: frustration and lack of motivation. Mind you, I am not working out as much as I should. But still.

Long story short, after seeing the Honey We're Healthy blog, I saw Megan was doing this 12 week program called Live Fit by Jamie Eason and was having amazing results! Megan also had a post about finding the time to workout. I took a hard look at my day and came to the conclusion that the only time I could really get some gym time is at lunch. Since I already have a babysitter at lunch (which was one of my hinderances before since Ernest gets off late) I've since decided to forgo my lunchtime madness and make it mommy gym time. A happy mommy=a happy house. I'm just surprised I didn't think of it sooner!

Ok, so back to Live Fit...it's a pretty awesome program! It's broken up into 3 phases of both diet and exercise. (They also recommend supplements, which I will not be doing except for taking my pre-natal vitamin since I'm still nursing. The babe doesn't need any chemicals from that stuff!) Phase 1 is the muscle building phase and training your body into the habit of working out and eating lean protein, lots of veggies, water and only healthy starches before 7pm. The best part of phase 1...NO CARDIO! Can it get any better?! Since you're trying to build muscle in Phase 1, all your energy stores are saved for just that. Phase 2 you add in cardio and start cutting carbs. Phase 3 builds on the other two phases with high-intensity workouts, carb cycling and supersets. Intense! But, I think it'll totally be worth it! I have no affiliation with this company or Honey We're Healthy blog. This program just makes logical sense. I also love that it's a slow progression, not some fad diet or workout that'll give you results over night. There's going to be lots of blood, sweat and tears for the next twelve weeks! OK, so maybe not blood (I hope not!) but definitely lots of sweat and maybe some tears...of joy.

Day one and two are complete. I can barely put my sweater on because I'm so sore, but that means it's working! The 'diet' is pretty easy too, just clean eating. I don't feel deprived or starving either. I'll check in again in a week. Perhaps I'll post a 'before' picture of myself now...or not...





2 comments:

  1. Wow, we have a lot in common! I gained 45 lbs in my pregnancy and I'm also pretty short. I only lost 25 lbs from birth so I have 20 to go. I also found this 12 week trainer and I keep trying to do it but I don't have a babysitter and my husband works offshore for 3 weeks at a tie. I bought a bouncy chair to bring to our apt gym with me but I've yet been brave enough to try. Oh and we are also house shopping! Crazy. U can check out my blog at chrissycdoucet.blogspot.com

    I haven't posted in a few weeks but I will soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your little girl, she's precious!

      Finding the time is definitely difficult! I'm finding my lunch hour is the.only.time I can workout. But as this program gets more intense, I'm going to have to add in some workouts after my babe goes to sleep. I'm sure once your little one gets older, it'll be easier to take her with you to your apt. gym. Good luck with the workouts and house hunting!

      Delete