12.18.2013

All That Glitters is Gold

As you know, we had my Mom's big 50th birthday bash this past weekend. It was a glittery gold affair fit for a queen! Haha.
I apologize in advance for not getting the best pictures of the decor. We were scrambling at the end to make all the food and then people started showing up so I really couldn't get great pictures of the decorations. My cousin Sandra definitely captured the feel of the party with the rest of the pics. So thankful for that!!

//decor}//
Gold! Gold! Gold! I wanted something that looked fancy, was a bit glam and a lot of fun. Since it's Christmas time, there is a ton of gold stuff around too. Plus, I'm pretty much just obsessed with everything gold. #cantstopwontstop

The 'cheers', 'party' and 'happy birthday' canvases were made using some blank canvases, glitter and cardboard letters from Target. For the 'cheers', I used PicMonkey and their fancy fonts. Printed, cut, traced, glued then glittered the shit out of it. For the other two canvases, I used a pack of letters from the Target $1 bin and just glued them to the canvas and added glitter. Is there anything you can't do with glitter?! The big '5-0' are cardboard letters from Hobby Lobby which I just mod-poged and glittered.
I found some really great paper glitter paper in different shades at Michaels and made the 'Happy Birthday Fabulous' banner and cake bunting from it.

The tassle garland is the same one I used from Autumn's birthday party and I just added some gold metallic tassels. All the other decorations were either things I had, bought anytime I saw something gold or were borrowed from Ernest's Grandma who has the holy grail of decorations.
//photobooth//
This isn't an actual booth (like my Dad thought! He asked when it was being delivered, hahahah!) but was just a backdrop and some photo props. I loved the backdrop but regrettably it was way too small! I swear the picture showed it being like 6' wide! Oh well.



Despite the failed background, the booth was a HUGE hit! We had soooo much fun taking the silliest pictures...over and over again. The props were super cute too and can be re-used again.

Even Jack got in on the action!
//food//
Food, food, so much food! We wanted to do appetizers and easy to eat finger foods. One the menu was:
Meatballs with 6 different dipping sauces
Little weenies with BBQ
Spinach/Artichoke dip
Chips and Queso
JalapeƱo poppers
Stuffed mushrooms
Wrapped Brie w/ Raspberry Jam
Shrimp Cocktail
Brie with Raspberry Chipotle
Cream Cheese w/ Habanero Pineapple Sauce
Pears with brie and cranberry reduction
Green Chili & Cream Cheese Pinwheels
Deviled Eggs
Did you just gain 10 lbs reading that?! It gets better...
//desserts//
Orange Cream Vodka Cupcakes with Buttercream and Gold Glitter Sprinkles
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies with M&M's

Instead of a cake, we opted for cupcakes...

 
For the party favors, my dad made the biscochitos (similar recipe here), my mom baked them and I packaged them in these cute mini mason jars. Tied them up and added a fancy label (stamped and embossed by me) and there you have a cute and yummy favor!
  
 
//drinks//
Cranberry Sparkler Slushy with Orange Cream Vodka (I'll share the recipe soon)
Hot Chocolate Bar with Peppermint Schnaps and Fire Ball Whiskey
Beer, hard liquor and whatever you could think up
I'll be sharing the rest of the party pictures later in the week. Wait for it...they get crazy!
Sources:
Oriental Trading: Plates, Cups, Utensils, Table Cloths, Photobooth backdrop
Hobby Lobby: Cardboard letters, table runner, various decorations, 'happy birthday' stamp
Target: Utensils, Mason Jars, Washi Tape
Party City: Cups

On another note, I wish I didn't have to say this but I have to. I understand this big ole internet is just full of great ideas. I think every single person borrows from Pintrest, other bloggers, whoever at some point or another. But if an idea isn't an original of yours, please give credit where credit is due. I realize by having this blog I put everything out there for anyone but I hope that if you are borrowing an idea or recipe from me, please source it rather than claiming it as your own. Most of my ideas are borrowed and tweaked, which I always try to credit the source. But sometimes (not often!) I have an original idea or recipe. So do me a solid and don't claim borrowed ideas as your own. I'd love to see how you make my ideas your own! Ok, I hope that's the last time I have to post anything like this!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for stopping by my blog! girlfriend - you have a flair for party decor…i'm in love with all that gold. what a lucky mom!! new e-mail subscriber!

    ReplyDelete