1.26.2014

Hot Mess Express

Today is day 4 that Autumn has had the terrible horrible crud going around town. Fever, chills, tummy issues, cough, stuffy nose, runny nose. Basically you name it, she's had it.
Just when we thought she was feeling better this morning, this afternoon was a different story and her fever spiked over 100 again. Our doctors office has a rule that unless their fever is at 104+ or over 100 for 3-4 days not to take them in. Well today, after being over 100 for 4 days, I felt it was time to take her in. Fortunately she doesn't have an infection, unfortunately there isn't anything we can give her except for lots of love, hugs, kisses and snuggles. That's exactly what we've been doing for the last four days and will continue to do until she's 100% better. The doctor said she should be feeling better in 3-6 days. That feels like a lifetime!
I've had this irrational (ok, maybe not) fear of Autumn pooping in the tub since before she was born. I've tried to think of what I'd do, how do you get it out, etc. etc. etc. Yes, irrational. Almost 16 months and we've been in the clear. Until...
 
Let me preface this, I got about 45 minutes of sleep in a 48 hour span because she was literally up the entire Thursday night.  I'm tired, I'm cranky, she's cranky. We were just the hot mess express over here. Soooo on Friday, I was trying to break the fever and gave her a bath. I noticed a little brown something in the tub. Yuck! I thought maybe it was in her diaper when I put her in and just hadn't noticed it. Scooped it out, problem solved. Not too bad. I got this! Until...I was grabbing her towl to get her out which took about .7 seconds. In that time, poor little babe had the worst diarrhea in the bathtub! Oh the horror!!!! I freaked out, plucked her out in a hot second which scared the shit out of her (oh wait, too late!) rinsed her off, dried her, slammed the door shut and told Ernest to bring home an XL bottle of wine (he did!)! It was a good few hours before I went back in. I haven't been feeling great myself and that was just too much for me to handle. I finally mustered up the courage to go back in, threw away what I could and tried cleaning the disaster. Oh man, poor baby couldn't help it but good grief I could have done without that shit! Literally. We were definitely laughing about it Friday night, because, what else is there left to do?!
It just breaks my heart seeing her so sick and not being able to do anything to help her, really. I would take all the sickness if it meant her being well. Here's hoping tomorrow brings lots of healing for Autumn (and some sleep for Mom and Dad!).

2 comments:

  1. My daughter was just sick two weeks ago and it is the worst. You just have to let it run it's course usually and fevers are actually good for them but it's so hard, especially the no sleep part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, fevers are horrible-necessary evils. She is mostly doing better aside from an annoying cough that's been keeping her up. Definitely on the mend though! Hope your daughter is feeling better!

      Delete