1.10.2014

Vegetarian Toddler, Part 1

As I mentioned in Autumn's 15 Month post, I've decided to start eating a mostly vegetarian/pescitarian diet (I'm still eating fish, shrimp, etc.). This isn't a huge leap since I've been vegetarian twice before (yes, you can turn it on and off like a light switch). Before, I was super strict with myself but this time, this is less about the label and more about cooking vegetarian dishes that Autumn will hopefully eat. Truth: This is my desperate attempt to get her to eat anything other than pasta and cheese!
I've been gathering recipes, researching vitamins and supplements and trying out some new things in the kitchen. I thought I could do this all in one post but it was getting pretty long. I'll be breaking this up into a few posts over the next week or so and will continue to add as I find more easy recipes. I'm going to start out with the vitamins/supplements we use on a daily basis and some. Next will be smoothie recipes then lunch/dinner recipes. Here's what we have going on today...

//Supplements//
If you don’t eat right, being vegetarian can do a number on your body, especially if you’re working out a lot (I know this from past experience!). Since Autumn and I don’t eat eggs often and do not drink/eat much dairy (except cheese), some of these overlap with a vegan diet as well. Some of our essentials are:
Calcium Magnesium Citrate plus Vitamin D3 (for adults only): this stuff tastes something awful but it’ll keep your bones in tip top shape and keeps you, ahem, regular. I get the BlueBonnet liquid form sold at Whole Foods.

Vegan Multi-Vitamin (for adults only): The vegan vitamins will get you some of those B vitamins that are harder (or impossible) to get from a plant based diet. I like taking mine at night after dinner otherwise they upset my stomach. A great one is Vega MultiVitamin
Nutritional Yeast: I’ve mentioned giving this to Autumn before. It looks like fish food but has a mild cheese flavor. You can add it to almost any savory dish. It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins, and is a complete protein (per Wikipedia). We use the Bragg kind also sold at Whole Foods.
 Poly-Vi-Sol: This is a liquid vitamin supplement that was recommended by our pediatrician.It smells awful but tastes like the vitamins from my childhood. You know, the ones that were purple and pink little bears. Ahhhh, memories. It mixes well into other foods. You can find it at pretty much any big store.
Probiotic: This comes in a powder form and I just add it to her meals according to the directions for her age/size. It helps keep her flora and fona in working order. Autumn has had a bought of really bad diaper rash on and off for the past few weeks and the doctor recommended she take this daily. So far, it's helped. I got the Nature's Way Primadophilus for Children at, you guessed it, Whole Foods. Although, I just saw you can find it cheaper online. Boom!


Now how in the hell do you get your kiddo to eat all these vitamins?! I make Autumn her 'power oatmeal' in the morning and she loves it. I use Earth's Best Organic Mixed Grain Cereal. I'm still using baby cereal because it has 45% of her daily iron. And it's super quick. When I have more time on the weekend, I'll make her Cream of Wheat or oatmeal. With it, I mix in her Poly-Vi-Sol, probiotic powder, organic soy milk (added protein), whatever fruit/vegetable puree I have and some coconut milk yogurt (for active cultures and healthy fat) until it's a little creamy.

Autumn gobbles this up with a slice of cinnamon raisin bread from Sprouts and a cup of soy milk. She repeatedly says mmmmm, mmmmm and nods. Kid approved!

Look for some more vegetarian posts soon! Happy Friday everyone!


I’m in no way a doctor, expert or dietician, this is just what I’ve researched and what will work for us. Always check with your doctor/pediatrician before starting any diet, vitamins or supplements.


No comments:

Post a Comment