3.11.2014

Whole 30: Days 1-5 + Recipes

Last week I started my Whole 30 program. I'm on day 6 and feeling pretty good overall.

For this 30 days, I've decided to add meat back into my diet. The vegetarian version of Whole 30 is beyond limited. I'm talking like two choices of protein. This is already really hard that making it even more limited sounded unrealistic for me. I'm trying to stick to mostly fish choices but even that is limited. Once I'm done, I plan on going back to a mostly vegetarian/pescitarian diet because I just feel better that way.

//Day 1//
Coming off my 3 day juice cleanse, I was just stoked to eat food again! Haha.
Breakfast: egg scramble with sauted mushrooms, onion, red bell pepper, spinach and kale. Side of hashed sweet potatoes. I made a huge batch of this that lasted me 4 breakfasts.
Lunch: Tuna with olive oil, steamed veggies (I make a huge batch and just grab from that).
Dinner: Slider burgers made with grass-fed beef, bacon and all the (veggie) fixings. Roasted sweet potato, 1/2 avocado. Grass fed beef tastes so much different than regular meat!
Egg scramble, sweet potato hash browns and 1/2 avocado
//Day 2//
 Still feeling good. I did have a headache all day.
Breakfast: egg scramble and sweet potato hash, homemade salsa (tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, onion, salt and lime juice)
Lunch: I ventured out to lunch with a friend. I knew I'd have to face this so why not sooner than later. We went to Panera. I did a lot of research the night before. There were literally only 2 things I could eat! It's scary how much shit is put in our food. The 'natural' chicken had sugar, the boiled eggs had some sort of starch and the lean beef was grilled in wheat starch! Amazing. I ended up having the Power Steak Wraps without pesto and extra lemon. It was ok. Eating out is going to be near impossible!
Dinner: Same as Day 1. I really wanted dessert (our usual Friday night) but settled for water instead. 

//Day 3//
Still had a headache but feeling mostly good. Went shopping for the rest of my stuff at Whole Foods. This is an expensive lifestyle. I resisted all the yumminess that is WF and clam chowder. I also realized I was picking at Autumn's dinner. A lot. A little nibble here, a little nibble there. It adds up. No more though!
Breakfast: Same as Day 1 and 2. Also added in a clementine orange. I also made a Bulletproof Coffee and was in heaven. 1 cup hot coffee, 1 spoonful ghee, 1 spoonful coconut oil. Blended in a blender until frothy. Amazing.
Lunch: Sliders with steamed veggies and an egg.
Dinner: This was rough. Ernest wanted to go out to sushi. I looked up their menu and could only have the vegetarian roll without any soy sauce. Sashimi was out for me especially since I couldn't drown it in soy sauce. Then Chili's was an option. Nope. He ended up getting himself something and I made myself 3 fried eggs, sweet potato hash, asparagus and 1/2 avocado. Crisis averted.
//Day 4//
Felt mostly good. I really had a lot of sugar cravings. I just wanted something sweet. I tried an orange and an Almond Banana but didn't help. I was a little on edge.
Breakfast: Same. I picked up some hazelnut coffee from Costco and drank it black. It was surprisingly good. I did realize that coffee is an issue for me. Part of Whole 30 is not having any addictions to food or drink and I definitely rely on coffee. It may be time to say goodbye to my dear old friend. Tear.
Lunch: I discovered I could use Cholula sauce! I need my heat. 1 egg, sliders, steamed veggies.
Dinner: I resisted all the yummy temptations at Gigi's house and instead settled on some nuts. I didn't eat dinner there but instead waited until we got home. 

Coconut milk and lime cod with mango/avocado salsa. Marinate the cod in coconut milk and the juice of one lime for 30 minutes. Cut up the mango and avocado. I mixed mine with some of my homemade salsa. Cook the fish at 350* for 12 minutes. Serve with salsa on top. Delish! (Recipe from @jennaskitchen on IG)
That gross looking brown stuff creeping on the plate is balsamic vinegar. Amazing on steamed veggies! Just make sure it doesn't have sugar to be Whole 30 compliant
//Day 5//
This day was rough. Daylight Savings can suck it. I had a horrible headache all.day.long.
Breakfast: Egg scramble with mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, spinach and kale. Sweet potato and avocado
Lunch: Leftover coconut lime fish, veggies
Dinner: Pistachio crusted salmon + roasted asparagus + steamed brocolli
Chop up pistachios in a food processor until coarse/fine. Coat your salmon fillets in the nuts. Meanwhile, heat a pan with olive oil on M-H heat. Cook the fillets for about 7 minutes flipping once halfway through, or until your liking. I got this recipe from my aunt who makes coats the fish with honey then puts it in the pistachios. Her version is to die for but definitely not Whole 30 approved.
Pistachio crusted salmon, steamed veggies
We made an afternoon snack of Almond Banana Bites this weekend. Sometimes I use this as my fat serving. They are super simple and toddler approved. Simply cut up a banana into 12 pieces and place the slices in a mini muffin tin. Put about a tablespoon of almond butter over each banana. (I should have done this, place a toothpick in each banana so they're easier to eat). Cover and freeze until hard. Pop them out with a spoon. I ended up eating mine on the spoon so it was less messy. That's it. Sooo delish! And Whole30 approved. boom! Autumn gobbled hers up in a flash. 
I'm making all the dinners family sized plus an extra portion to take for lunch the next day. This cuts my food prep time down a lot. I feel like I'm constantly in the kitchen so any bit helps! Autumn has really surprised me and has liked almost everything I'm making. She's been eating my egg scramble, sweet potatoes/potato hash, fish and roasted veggies. Her absolute favorite thing is roasted asparagus! She has amazed me and just wants more, more and more. We're almost out of a huge pack of asparagus already and it's only Tuesday!
XOXO,

Jessica





1 comment:

  1. Autumn is absolutely adorable. Your healthy meals actually look delicious! Good luck with the last of your 30 days!

    ReplyDelete