4.25.2014

Make My Garden Grow

I'll let you in on a secret...I have a black thumb, not a brown thumb, a black thumb. Pretty much any plant that comes into 5 feet of me turns to dust within a few days. I love plants, I would like to keep them alive, it's not for a lack of trying. I just can't keep them alive. One of my spring/summer goals is to actually grow some stuff and keep it alive! I have big dreams of a salad or salsa garden with tons of fruit, vegetables and herbs!

This 5 on Friday is brought to you by my dream of being a real gardener someday instead of the garden crypt keeper, haha. Linking up with The Good LifeA. Liz AdventuresCarolina Charm, and Hello Happiness

Some cool gardening stuff...

//one//
I'm all about recycling and repurposing stuff so these K-cup plant starters are an awesome idea! These would be perfect to start a few more things inside before we transfer them outside. I saw another plan starter using egg shells and you just plant them straight in the ground and the egg shells help!
Via
//two//
This penny ball is kind of cool and helps repel bugs and slugs. Who doesn't have five million pennies lying around in every junk drawer?!
Via
//three//
I really should have looked this up months ago because I'm a little late. But, we'll take our chances!
Via
//four//
This would make the perfect watering jug! Inexpensive and easy to make!
Via

//five//
These DIY garden markers would be fun to make with Autumn (once they are painted/dried) and let her draw on them as well. Now to take enough paint sticks from Lowe's without being noticed...
Via
I bought some Target $1 bin plant starters and Autumn and I planted them about two weeks ago. We planted cilantro, strawberries, basil and tomatoes. They recently started sprouting and we were both super excited! Ernest's grandma gave me a small raised plant bed to transfer these over and to add a few more things. I'm going to wait a few more weeks because we've still had some very cool nights and ours sprouts need to grow a bit more.
 You can check out more of my gardening dreams here.

Do you garden? What are your gardening tips?  Please send good gardening vibes our way and wish me luck! :)

P.S. Autumn's blood work came back normal AND she ate a hot dog last night! Woot Woot!!

8 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping by from the Five on Friday link-up. My hubby and I are also trying to grow vegetables this summer...thankfully he has a green thumb because I do not. Or so he claims. :) Here is what we have started so far.

    I love the penny ball and paint stick ideas! Definitely going to have to try that. Do you know what the pennies are glued to?

    And I've seen people use toilet paper tubes as plant starters. They are supposed to be like eggshells...you can plant the cardboard tube and all, and the tube will disintegrate.

    I will be following your blog now! :)


    Elise @ Harvey Ever After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, your garden is awesome!! I hope ours will be half as good, haha!

      The link for the penny ball was a bust and just went to a picture of it :( I was wondering if you could glue them onto a giant wood or floral foam ball from Hobby Lobby???

      I didn't know that about toilet paper tubes, very cool! Luckily I eat about 5 billion eggs a week so I already have 24 shells saved up! lol. Thanks for stopping by Elise!

      Delete
  2. I knew she looked happy and healthy! Silly doctors...they should listen to nurses! We planted tomatoes...as in bought a GIANT plant at Costco and planted it. I already ate two cherry tomatoes off of it! Cilantro hates the sun...still have not successfully grown it. However, I am a huge fan of Trader Joes and Whole Foods herb buckets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! She does not have the energy of someone with anemia! lol. They should listen to nurses! Haha, I've been eying that tomato plant but have been scared I'd kill it, haha. Sometimes buying those buckets are much easier! Especially the basil, soooo good! I'm going to plant this stuff but am looking at it more as a bonus in case it doesn't grow, haha :)

      Delete
  3. This is perfect with it just being Earth Day. I love growing herbs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't even think it correlated with Earth Day! I mean, I totally planned that ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm a terrible gardener, but I'm working on it! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from the link up! Love the penny ball and watering jug!! Every year I plan to plant a garden, but never seem to follow through with planting anything more than tomatoes. Perhaps this year will be different! ;) Wishing you all the best with your gardening!!

    ReplyDelete