4.18.2014

Whole 30, Round 2


Starting a Whole 30 again. I loved how I felt on the last Whole 30 that I wanted to do another one. Plus, I'm not really where I want to be yet. Going to Phoenix messed me up a bit and I haven't really been able to jump back in with two feet. I had it in my mind that Easter was coming up and it'd be really hard to eat on Whole 30 then. But Monday, April 21st, is day one, yet again!
Via @jennaskitchen on Instagram
I'm still eating about 95%  90%Whole 30, but that is not the same as 100%. I've been having a bite here, a bite there (a frapp there, shameful) and all those small things add up. Plus they just don't give you the detox and full benefits of eating completely clean. Anyways, I'm about halfway through the book It Starts With Food. I didn't read it the first go round, but I'm so glad to be reading it now. It really goes into the why and how bad foods affect you, your hormones and your health. If anyone is considering doing this, I strongly recommend reading the book to understand why sticking to it 100% is so important. 

I'm going to prep myself by making our mealplan this weekend and doing some shopping. I'll definitely be keeping these favorites on the list...

Slow Cooker Chicken with Cauliflower 'Rice'
This meal is oh so good!!!
For the chicken...
1 package organic chicken
Rotel Tomatoes- I just realized the can kind has some added nastiness (gasp)! But you can make your own. Just make sure your hot sauce is Whole 30 (Cholula is a great option)
Sea Salt, to taste

Cook the chicken in a slow cooker with all the ingredients on low for 8 hours. I kept mine on warm for an additional couple hours and it was fine. If it starts to dry out, add a little water or tomato sauce. I seasoned it after it was cooked. 

For the rice...
1 head cauliflower
Olive oil
1 cup cilantro, chopped
Juice of one lime
Sea Salt, to taste

Grate your head of cauliflower on a cheese grater until the whole head is gone. You'll just have the branches/stub of the cauliflower left. Warm a large pan with the olive oil. Saute the cauliflower in the oil until until it starts to brown and soften, about 7-10 minutes depending on your stove. Add in the chopped cilantro, season and squeeze a fresh lime over the 'rice'. Done!

I served the chicken over the rice and topped it with some guacamole (avocado, lime, cilantro and salt). It is soooo good and super easy! 

Roasted Italian Portobellos and Hearty Spaghetti Sauce
I was afraid I wouldn't be satiated enough without pasta, but no way. This meal is super hearty and comforting.
Sorry for the bad food photos! Trust me it's delish!
For the spaghetti sauce...
1 large can diced tomatoes (make sure there is nothing extra added, organic is best)
1 14oz can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
Tons of  spices- basil, parsley, oregano, Italian seasoning, thyme, almost anything. The more, the merrier
1 tsp. dry mustard
Garlic salt
Pepper
1 1/2 c water
1 package organic grass-fed ground beef
1/2 chopped onion

Throw everything in the Crock Pot on low for 8 hours. 

For the portobello...
Heat the oven to 375
Season the portobello with garlic salt and some Italian seasoning mix, add a little olive oil to the top and a little sea salt. Place with the top down in a baking pan. Bake for about 25 minutes-ish. 

Top the portobello with the spaghetti sauce, a little sliced avocado and dinner is served. I've also served this sauce with zoodles too which feels more like spaghetti.

Another favorite on my list is La Croix sparking water. OMG it is oh so good! I've tried the coconut (my fav), the peach-pear and berry ones. They are all naturally flavored and don't have any other junk. I really want to try the lime flavor, some fresh mint and blueberries to make a mock-tail of my favorite cocktail, the blueberry-mint mojito at Q Bar. Ohhhhemgee, so good!

If you are thinking about doing a Whole 30, here's a little something to motivate you. This is my before and after picture. I'm not ready to do a whole body shot but look at my face (scary early morning shots, sorry! :/ ).
There's no filters on either photos. This is all real 5am me in all my makeup-less glory. It's a huge change! My mom said it looked like I got a facelift. I feel like my skin is glowing. This is only one of many other benefits I felt from Whole 30. I really am excited to start another round!



1 comment:

  1. I'm always intrigued by these diets. I'd love to try one, but they always sound like so much work. I can't wait to hear how it works for you. Please post recipes! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete