5.01.2014

Homemade Lara Bar's

I've talked about my love for Lara Bars before. They are a Whole 30 savior for days I'm running late with nothing to eat or just need something to hold me over until dinner. Since the ingredients are so simple (date + fruit + nuts) they were a breeze to make. The hardest part was letting them firm up til you can eat them.
I found the original recipe here but changed them up a bit. I made three combos: Tropical, Blueberry and Fig. For each combo, just add the ingredients into a food processor, chop until roughly chopped (I like mine gritty, not pasty), place onto some plastic wrap and mold into the shape you want. I made large rectangles. If the mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon of warm water. Freeze for at least an hour. Cut and try not to devour all of them at once. Each recipe yields about 4-6 bars depending on the size you make them.

Tropical
1/4 c dates (dried, seedless. They come in a container at Sprouts)
1/4 c coconut flakes
1/4 c fresh pineapple
1/4 c raw almonds
In hindsight, the fresh pineapple was probably too watery for the bars because they are a bit sticky. They taste amazing but dried pineapple may work better.

Blueberry Nut
1/4 c dates
1/4 c dried blueberries
1/4 c raw almonds
dash of cinnamon

Berry Fig
At this point we ran out of dates but tried figs instead. I really liked that they weren't as sweet and the texture was good. These weren't as 'datey' as real Lara Bars but you could taste the other flavors a lot.
1/4 c dried figs
1/4 c blueberries
1/4 c cherries
1/4 c almonds/cashews

The cost was hard to figure out since I already had all the other ingredients but the dates were $5 for a pack that made 12 bars. The rest of the ingredients I buy bulk from Costco. I'm guessing about fity $0.50 each. All in all, much cheaper than $1.50+ for each Lara Bar. Boom!
I can't wait to try some other fruit combos!

No comments:

Post a Comment